The Bay City Public Library connects residents of Matagorda County with information, technology, ideas and experiences to provide enjoyment, enrich lives and strengthen our community. The library has been serving Bay City and surrounding areas since 1912.
The Bay City Public Library will foster a spirit of community and self-discovery by improving the quality of life in Bay City and surrounding areas.
The Bay City Library is a hub of its own where community members of all ages gather for reading, programs, and information. The library has Wi-Fi and offers book clubs, a genealogy room, Children's Storytime, computers connected to the internet and teen services such as the Vault and a Teen Tuesdays.
Organized in 1912, the Bay City Public Library was first housed in the J.P. Keller Insurance Company office. The non-profit Bay City Library Association, also formed in 1912, spearheaded community fundraising efforts to operate the library. Land was purchased in 1913, and a library building was completed in 1914. The first librarian was Miss Josephine McCullough. A new library building was constructed in 1958, and a Friends of the Library Organization was formed in 1977. The Bay City Library became part of the Texas State Library System in 1987.
In 1991, the Library opened the Sargent Branch Library. In 1993, the Bay City Library relocated to its current location at 1100 7th Street. The library completed renovations and a small expansion, including the remodel of the Youth Room, addition of a Teen Room, and reorganization of stacks, in 2018. The Sargent Branch Library reopened after a year of renovations to its new building at 20305 FM 457 in September 2020. In July 2021, the Bay City Library Association funded an update of the Teen Room, now named The Vault.