Jury service is an important civic and community duty. Through service on a jury, a citizen has a direct hand in the administration of justice. The Court greatly appreciates citizens who participate in jury service.
In order to serve as a juror in the Bay City Municipal Court, you must be:
- At least 18 years of age
- A citizen of the United States
- A resident of Texas, Matagorda County, and Bay City
- Qualified to serve under the Constitution and laws to vote in Matagorda (note, you do not have to be registered to vote to be qualified to vote)
- Of sound mind and good moral character
- Able to read and write
Additionally, you must not:
- Have served as a juror for six days during the preceding three months in the county court or during the preceding 6 months in the District Court
- Have been convicted of theft or any felony
- Be under indictment or other legal accusation of a misdemeanor theft, felony theft, or any other felony charge
To claim an exemption from jury service, complete the jury service form or contact the court during regular business hours at 979-245-0035 to speak to one of our staff members.
Selection of Names
Juror names are selected from current voter registration lists. If you were summoned and you no longer reside in Bay City, contact the voter registration office to have your name removed from their list.